Friday, August 13, 2010

La Madia

I've been so busy lately that I haven't been keeping in touch with some of my friends like I should. It is really a shame  because when you have a lot on your mind it helps to consult with those around you. I hadn't talked to my friend Megan in so long, and we both had some catching up to do - so why not do it around some wine and a good meal? Our friend Erin also joined in on the evening, which was even better. So now that we've secured a time and day ( always tricky to do around our busy schedules!)  it's now a matter of location. I've heard about La Madia from a few friends, saw it on Groupon (a way to get coupons on daily deals in the city), and I've walked by it many times. I never thought to check it out even though it is right under my nose! 

It was decided. La Madia. The place was surprisingly packed for a weekday- good thing I made reservations because we would have been waiting for over an hour. We got there a bit early and went over to Fado for a couple beers and pre-dinner chat. 

The restaurant self proclaims to be a "contemporary pizzeria".  The Ikea-style wall decor and giant brick pizza oven lived up to their motto. I am always weary of anything traditional followed by the word "contemporary", probably because you never know what you'll get. What happened to authentic? La Madia lived up to their description, and I instantly loved the atmosphere-contemporary done right! The crowd were certainly Groupon-ers - young business professionals off from work. It was loud in the main dinning area, but the back room where we were seated was quiet and just perfect for conversation. It was nice to catch up with the girls and the 5$ house wine helped. 

I loved the house red which was a 2008 Mesta Tempranillo- from Castilla la Mancha, Spain. It was perfect. Erin's house white which was a 2007 La Prendina Pinot Grigio from Veneto, Italy was just as good, if not a better fit for the hot day. 

We ordered the foil-Roasted crackling Niçoise Olives: yummy! A bit salty after the 10th olive but so good with a hint of rosemary. The toasted bruschetta with seasonal wild mushrooms, marsala glaze & whipped ricotta. For the pizza's they offer Red or White (with sauce or without). So first we ordered the triple pepperoni, tomato Sauce & mozzarella cheese, finished with white truffle oil. YUM! The truffle oil made it all the better, sooo good we all agreed it had amazing flavor. The second pizza was the housemade lamb sausage, fresno peppers, caciocavallo cheese & mint salsa verde. Certainly was the runner-up. The lamb was good, but next time I think I'll order something else. 

After a couple more glasses of wine and digesting our fest it was unanimous- we loved La Madia and will be back. 

Just a note: the service was a tad slow- it took some time to get our wines. 

La Madia on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment