Thursday, July 14, 2011

Aviary


So coming up on my last week of living in Chicago (tears) the bf and I decided to cross off many things on our bucket list. This included a concert @ Millennium Park. Watching Ferris Bueller's Day off @ Fulton Park. Heading to picnic in Evanston. We really tried to take advantage of our last few days together as I'm moving to pursue my Ph.D. and he's staying to pursue his career goals. Unheard of -I know but doesn't distance make the heart grow fonder?


On one of our date nights we decided for Sushi @ Toro in Lincoln Park. Which was lovely as ever, thanks to Mitch and the crew. We headed to The Other Side, as this was the scene of one of our first nights out 4 years back. Then on our way home we opted for a drink @ the Aviary. The much talked about neighbor of Next Restaurant. Dressed in flip flops and jeans I was a little intimidated at first. But what an amazing experience. We each ordered one drink - it was already a heavy night of drinking and I wanted to be semi-functional. He got the Manhattan inspired drink which involved breaking open a ball of ice to expose the drink using a slingshot. And I got a ginger inspired drink of liquid nitrogen that involved a very odd looking straw. A priori a lovely amuse bouche of watermelon and salty flavor really got me intrigued to what followed. It was perfect.

We decided to leave then and there as first off the bill was 50$ for 2 drinks, and also because I was starting to feel the buzz. On our way out we stared at the partition trying to figure out how they made that ball of whiskey.

While staring @ the staff much like you would stare at animals in a zoo we forgot that the partition is actually see through and as we could hear them, they could hear us. So the wonderful host approached us and asked if we'd like a tour of the basement where the drinks formulate. There we met a lovely man who spends 14 hours a day making balls of ice using waterballons. Ah yes. What a simple solution to an intricate drink. I wish I took a video of him. But out of respect for his craft we simply stood in amazement. You pay for these drinks because of the labor that goes into them. Simple as that. I have a better appreciation of my experience because of this and hope to one day come back when I'm back in my favorite city in the world. Chicago. I'll miss you and your surprises.

The Aviary on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment