Saturday, April 30, 2011

XOCO




I can't believe it took me this long to get to XOCO. The Rick Bayless high-end sandwich shop has been open for awhile now, just next door to the famous (and more expensive sit-down) Topolobampo. His website showcases his franchise quite well and check out his bio it's an interesting back drop to how he got to where he is and the cuisine he's become so well versed in.

I went on a Friday night around 6 p.m and there was no line. But halfway through the meal the line was literally out the door around like 7. So pick your time wisely. I think if I came back I'd order take-out.
Well here is the rundown. We ordered chips and salsa. They had tomatillo salsa and a 3-chile salsa. I loved both. We ordered the Shortrib Red Chile Soup: Braised Tallgrass shortribs, red chile broth, roasted vegetables, epazote, wild arugula,and lime. Wow. This is my new favorite, next to Pho. It was an amazingly hearty bowl of soup. The shortribs were melting off the bone! Yum. And we ordered the Pepito: Braised Tallgrass shortribs, caramelized onion, artisan Jack cheese, black beans, pickled jalapenos. This torta was from the wood-burning oven. It tasted like a fancy philly steak sandwich. I loved it but I wish it was  little more creative. I think next time I'll order a torta from the griddle. And of course a couple of beers to wash it all down.


I love the energy of this place. Everyone seems to be happy. The employee's are all smiling and happy to answer questions or give you an extra bit of salsa. Now I'm so curious for the other options on the menu that I'll have to come back.
I would recommend XOCO for a quick bite. Just make sure you go on an off time and don't get stuck in line. The wait would be torture!

XOCO on Urbanspoon

1 comment: